Mar 08, 2017
MARYVILLE, Tenn. - The Berry College baseball team defeated Maryville on the road this afternoon with a 7-5 final.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Vikings struck early, scoring four runs in the top of the first off the bats of Slade Dale, Casey Whitaker and Devin Post.
- The Scots were able to answer in the bottom half of the first, scoring two off the bats of Johnny Carpenter and Alden Wright.
- Berry extended the lead to 5-2 in the top of the second off an Alfred Francis single.
- Maryville crossed two more in the bottom of the second, tightening the lead to 5-4.
- The Scots would tie the game in the bottom of the fourth off a sacrifice fly, but it would be their final run of the game.
- The Vikings secured the win off the bat of Tyler Calvert who drove home RBIs in the top of the fifth and ninth.
- Devin Skelton: 3-for-5, 2 R
- Casey Whitaker: 2-for-5, R, RBI
- Devin Post: 2-for-5, R, RBI
- Jason Rose: 2-for-4
- Tyler Calvert: 1-for-3, 2 RBIs, BB
- Ben Coker: 3.0 IP, 3 H, R, K, W (2-1)
- Logan Hayes: 2-for-4, 2 R
- Bryce Redaja: 2-for-3, 2 RBIs, R, BB
- Alden Wright: 1-for-5, RBI
- Josh Wolfe: 4.0 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 2 K, L (0-1)
- Jackson Byrd earned the save for the Vikings, striking out both batters he faced in the ninth.
- The Vikings improved to 9-6 with the Scots falling to 8-8
- Berry will open a three-game set against Centre on Saturday at 1:00 p.m.