BIRMINGHAM, Ala. - The Berry College baseball team fell to the No. 3 Birmingham-Southern College Panthers on Saturday afternoon in a doubleheader sweep.
HOW IT HAPPENED (GAME 1):
- The Panthers jumped out to an early 4-0 lead in the bottom of the first after Tyler Wise hit a two-RBI single followed by Preston White's two-run double.
- BSC tacked on another pair in the bottom of the fourth to push the lead to 6-0.
- Berry plated their first run of the game in the top of the fifth after Casey Whitaker hit an RBI single to score Alfred Francis.
- The Panthers continued to answer, adding a run in the bottom of the seventh off a sacrifice fly.
- Slade Dale then hit a two-run homer in the top of the eighth to bring Berry within striking distance late in the game.
- An error in the bottom of the eighth would score another Panthers run before Easton Fuller would close the game for BSC.
HOW IT HAPPENED (GAME 2):
- BSC struck first in game two in the bottom of the third with Will Toner hitting a sacrifice fly to score Jacob Drescher.
- The Panthers would add another run in the bottom of the fourth on a wild pitch.
- Berry took the lead in the top of the fifth after Devin Skelton hit a two-RBI double to right scoring Whitaker and Francis. SKelton then scored on a throwing error to give Berry the 3-2 advantage.
- The Panthers then rattled off five runs in the fifth and sixth to seal the sweep.
BERRY STATISTICAL STANDOUTS:
- Kris Patel: 7-for-7
- Casey Whitaker: 3-for-8, RBI, R
- Devin Skelton: 3-for-7, 2 RBI, 2 R
- Slade Dale: 2-for-7, 2 RBI, R
- Alfred Francis: 3-for-8, 2 R
- Dylan Beasley: 5.0 IP, 6 H, 3 ER, 2 K, L (3-4)
BSC STATISTICAL STANDOUTS:
- Jacob Drescher: 2-for-7, 2 R
- Will Toner: 3-for-6, 2 RBI, 3 R
- Tyler Wise: 3-for-7, 5 RBI, R
- Rich Misischia: 2-for-6, 3 RBI, 3 R
- Ryan Gaines: 6.0 IP, 9 H, 1 R, 3 K, W (7-0)
- Kris Patel was 7-for-7 on the day in the DH spot
- The Vikings fell to 17-15 on the year and 6-8 in conference play.
- Berry will complete the series tomorrow at 2:00 p.m.