BIRMINGHAM, Ala. - The Berry baseball team fell to the top-seeded Panthers of Birmingham-Southern on Saturday afternoon with a 6-3 final. The Vikings drop to the losers bracket to face the Sewanee Tigers for the second time in the tournament on Saturday at 7:00 p.m. ET.
Berry will need to defeat the Tigers in order to reach a rematch with the Panthers tomorrow at 1:00 p.m.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Vikings struck first in the top of the second after a pair of singles from Jacob Delk and Tyler Calvert.
- BSC answered with five runs in the home half of the inning off the bats of David Scott, Rich Missischia and Tyler Wise. The Panthers led it 5-2.
- Berry was able to plate one in the fourth after a single by Devin Post.
- Will Toner drove home the final run of the game for BSC off a single to left to give the Panthers the 6-3 win.
BERRY STATISTICAL STANDOUTS:
- Austin Haight: 1-for-4
- Alfred Francis: 2-for-4
- Casey Whitaker: 2-for-4, 2 R
- Jacob Delk: 1-for-4, RBI
- Tyler Calvert: 1-for-3, RBI
- Devin Post: 1-for-3, RBI
- Dylan Beasley: 5.0 IP, 9 H, 5 R, K, L (3-5)
BSC STATISTICAL STANDOUTS:
- David Scott: 2-for-5, RBI, R
- Sam Roberts: 2-for-4, R
- A.J. Hunt: 3-for-4, R
- Will Toner: 2-for-4, RBI, R
- Ryan Gaines: 9.0 IP, 8 H, 3 R, 2 ER, 4 K
- Alfred Francis tied the single-season hits record with 64 on the year.
- The Vikings now face Sewanee, who they defeated 17-2 in the first round of the tournament.
- Berry's elimination game against the Tigers is Saturday at 7:00 p.m. ET.