BIRMINGHAM, Ala. - The Vikings baseball team collected 17 hits and 17 runs in the opening round of the Southern Athletic Association (SAA) tournament en route to a run-rule victory over the Sewanee Tigers.
With the win, the Vikings advance in the winners bracket to face the winer of Centre and Birmingham-Southern.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Berry plated six runs in the bottom of the first after four Tigers errors and four hits. The Vikings led 6-0 with Trey Rampy on the mound.
- Collecting five hits in the second, Berry would score four more runs off the bat of Devin Skelton, Jacob Delk and Tyler Calvert.
- Ryan Poole knocked in the first Tigers run of the game in the third with a single through the left side. Berry continued to lead 10-1.
- Two more Vikings scored in the third with the reigning SAA Player of the Year, Alfred Francis, scoring on an error before Jacob Delk would knock Casey Whitaker home to give Berry a 12-1 advantage.
- The Tigers plated their final run of the game in the fourth with a sacrifice fly from Beau Allen.
- Patel and Skelton kept the offense rolling in the fifth with a pair of RBI singles.
- The Vikings would plate two more in the bottom of the sixth off the bat of Whitaker and Calvert to ensure the run-rule victory.
BERRY STATISTICAL STANDOUTS:
- Slade Dale: 2-for-5, RBI, 4 R
- Kris Patel: 4-for-5, RBI, 3 R
- Casey Whitaker: 3-for-4, RBI, 5 R
- Devin Skelton: 3-for-4, 4 RBI, 2 R
- Tyler Calvert: 2-for-5, 2 RBI
- Trey Rampy: 4.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 1 ER, K, W (9-2)
SEWANEE STATISTICAL STANDOUTS:
- Tony Dykes: 1-for-1
- Jack Bartlewski: 1-for-3, R
- Ryan Poole: 2-for-3, RBI
- Bryce Benedict: 4.0 IP, 7 H, 7 R, 3 ER, K
- Berry's 17 runs are the second most they have scored on the year.
- This was the Vikings' fourth run-rule victory of the season
- The Vikings will face the winner of Centre and BSC tomorrow at noon ET.