BIRMINGHAM, Ala. - The Berry College baseball season ended its season on Monday night with a 7-2 loss to top-ranked Birmingham-Southern. The game began Sunday afternoon, but was pushed to today after heavy rain delayed competition in Birmingham.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- On Sunday, Berry was able to jump out to a quick 2-0 lead in the first after a BSC error and a Kris Patel ground out.
- The Panthers answered in the home half of the inning after a pair of Vikings errors allowed three runs to cross. BSC led it 3-2
- The score remained until the fifth when Preston White hit an RBI single to extend the Panther lead to 4-2.
- Rain then delayed the game until today when play resumed in the sixth inning. BSC added another run off a two-RBI single from Tyler Wise to go up 6-2.
- The final run of insurance crossed in the eighth to give the Panthers the 7-2 win.
BERRY STATISTICAL STANDOUTS:
- Tyler Calvert: 2-for-3
- Austin Haight: 1-for-3, R
- Alfred Francis: 1-for-3, R
- Kris Patel: 1-for-4, RBI
- Devin Post: 1-for-2
- Will Gibbons: 3.0 IP, 3 R, 0 ER, 3 K
BSC STATISTICAL STANDOUTS:
- David Scott: 2-for-5, 3 R
- Rich Misischia: 2-for-4, R
- Tyler Wise: 2-for-4, 2 RBI, R
- Preston White: 2-for-3, 2 R
- A.J. Hunt: 2-for-4
- Stephen Himic: 6.0 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 0 ER, K, W (10-0)
- Alfred Francis' hit broke the Berry single-season record in the DIII era with 65 on the year.
- Berry finished the season 23-21