Mar 17, 2017
By Genesis Leggett, Sports Information Assistant
THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. – The Berry College baseball team continued their California Invitational with a doubleheader against the Cal Lutheran Kingsmen, dropping both games with 8-3 and 2-0 final scores.
HOW IT HAPPENED (GAME 1):
• Cal Lutheran jumped out to a 6-0 lead in the bottom of the second inning in game one.
• The Kingsmen added two more in the bottom of the fifth off of a Gabe Gunter single, pushing the score to 8-0.
• Berry answered in the top of the sixth when Jacob Delk flew out to right field, bringing in Alfred Francis to score a run.
• In the top of the seventh, the Vikings scored again after Tyler Calvert hit a sacrifice fly to bring Jason Rose home.
• The Vikings scored their final run in the top of the eighth, as Jacob Delk singled to center field scoring Alfred Francis and moving the score to 8-3.
HOW IT HAPPENED (GAME 2):
• Dylan Beasley was phenomenal in his start, tossing a no hitter into the seventh inning. He finished with 7.1 innings pitched allowing four hits and striking out five.
• Beasley went 1-2-3 in each of the first four innings, allowing the first baserunner of the game for the Kingsmen in the bottom of the fifth off a walk.
• The Vikings outhit the Kingsmen 7-6, but were ultimately outscored 2-0 after Cal Lutheran tacked on a pair in the bottom of the eighth.
BERRY STATISTICAL STANDOUTS:
• Alfred Francis: 4-for-7, 2 R, BB
• Austin Brooks: 4-for-6
• Casey Whitaker: 2-for-8
• Dylan Beasley: 7.1 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 3 BB, 5 K
CAL LUTHERAN STATISTICAL STANDOUTS:
• Max Weistien: 2-for-7, 2 RBIs, 2 R
• Gabe Gunter: 4-for-9, 2 RBIs
• Austin Kay: 4-for-7, RBI, 3 R
• Nate Wehner: 8.0 IP, 7 H, 0 R, BB, 3 K
• Francis is ranked number one in the SAA for batting average (.479).
• The Vikings are now 12-9 overall.
The Vikings will travel to Claremont, Calif. to face the Claremont-Mudd-Scripps tomorrow at 4:00 p.m.